May 26, 2009
On-site home energy consultancy to promote energy renovations.
2005-2008, Ruhr area
Summary of the case
The project has the title:”strengthening the regional economy by creation or securing employment in the Ruhr area by independent energy consultancy of private consumers living in or owning old buildings”. It is funded by the region Land Northrhine-Westphalia (NRW) and the EU structural funds and is implemented by the consumer organisation of NRW Verbraucherzentrale NRW. The Ruhr area was chosen, because the part of not yet refurbished old houses is higher than average.
For private property owners of flats and residential buildings (up to 12 housing units) as well as for tenants an in situ - consultation energertic refurbishment is offered. This results in contribu-tions to climate protection and in strengthening the regional economy. The aim is to motivate to-wards energy modernisation and the use of renewable energies. For this reason it is offered, that independent energy advisers come to the buildings and do a qualified counselling in-situ.
Different aspects of energy-modernisation are touched by the project.
- Energy saving counselling: referring to the energy-expenditures and a few house characteristics a first estimation is made on the energy saving potential.
- The thermal insulation can be analysed.
- The check of the heating system includes proposals for improvement and renewable resources.
- Problems with humidity and mould are assessed.
- It can be analysed, if the house is suited for solar power plants.
- An expert opinion on energy modernisation can be compiled, including suggestions for energy-efficient improvements.
The improvement of the living quality shall stop people from leaving the area and enforce the regional economy, as many of the measures are being realised by local craftsmen, archictects and engineers.