September 21, 2009
Everyday routines of staff are changed to reduce energy consumption in office buildings.
Project manager: Cowi Lietuva, Lithuania
Project presentation (in Lithuanian)
Cowi Baltic (in Lithuanian)
The project aims to reduce energy consumption in office buildings by influencing employee behaviour. The office buildings in this project are leased by Northtown Technology Park to a number of small companies. The aims of the project are to:
- use the baseline data for heat, electricity and water consumption for the years 2003 to 2009 to make an assessment on behavioural changes,
- proceed a number of interviews based on an elaborated questionnaire with the employees working in NTP,
- use the questionnaire as a main tool to get feedback from target group,
- based on quantitative data of difference of consumption of resources make an assessment of the procedures applied and activities introduced,
- influence the target group via capacity building – exposing relevant information and links to energy conservation and energy saving experiences in Europe wide scale like, e.g. references to Changing Behaviour project, “EnergyTrophy+” project, etc.,
- disseminate the information on their resources (energy and water) consumption for the first half of project period in January, also after the accomplishing of the pilot,
- stimulating the target group by organizing a competition among the tenants of two buildings.
The target group in the final pilot project design consists of the 350 employees of the approximately 50-57 companies (this number could change often) that lease office space in Northtown Technology Park.
Another target group is the management of Northtown Technology Park, which is a public institution, founded in August 2002 by the Vilnius City Municipality and the Ministry of Economy of Lithuania. The main goal of NTP is to provide the innovative high level environment with well-equipped office space in the Northern part (so-called Northtown) of capital city Vilnius. At the same time NTP has ambitious plans to become the major high-tech business centre in Vilnius. NTP rents offices in the Campus of Northtown and takes care of good maintenance of two recently renovated 2-storied buildings.
Type of intervention
The following instruments have been considered:
- Organize lectures for employees to present how to reduce energy consumption in office.
- Pamphlets to disseminate the information about the project and encourage employees to participate in the competition to save energy could be elaborated.
- Project with a view to reduce energy consumption in the office.
- Reports about the need to switch off all the electric equipments could be sent to employees at the end of each workday (workweek).
- Organize an election of the most eco-friendly employee, who goes to work by bus, bicycle or by foot.
- Use smart electricity consumption measurement units in order to prove actual savings of electricity at each work place.
- Work as energy advisor, spending one day (hour) with employee and recording individual habits, suggesting ways for saving energy afterwards.
Existing communication platforms will be used:
- Regular information on the pilot project on the Northtown webpage
- Reflections in Northtown monthly newsletter
- Platform of Northtown intranet
- Social networking – Northtown on Facebook
- Northtown e-mail list
- Notice boards in Northtown